New Artificial Sports Fields – Crum Park
Fraser Thomas tendered, and successfully won the contract to investigate, design and supervise the synthetic field upgrade of Crum Park Field No.2, and the extension to the tennis court area.
Fraser Thomas prepared an integrated resource consent application, with specialist lighting, traffic, noise and landscaping inputs being provided by others. All resource and building consents were granted and construction is largely complete. The new artificial soccer field has recently been tested by FIFA and gained a “FIFA One Star” rating.
Crum Park encompasses an 8.5ha reserve situated on the slopes below Titirangi Road towards Green Bay and is located in a residential area in West Auckland. The Park was formerly an old clay pit that was filled in and has been in use as a sports ground since 1970 by various sporting codes including rugby, soccer and softball. It is currently being used as soccer fields by the Bay Olympic Football Club.
Initial investigations involved a topographical survey to provide existing contour and drainage data for design purposes, and geotechnical, civil and environmental engineering assessments to determine the ground conditions, extent and condition of existing drainage systems and the presence of soil contamination related to historic landfilling activity and sportsfield use.
This information was then fed into the design process for:
- Earthworks to level the field and to apply a new synthetic surface of Hybrid 50mm turf and a 23mm Proplay shockpad to create an artificial soccer field and warm up area
- Design of new lighting towers and associated foundations
- Design of stormwater and field drainage
- New perimeter spectator fence
- New perimeter retaining wall
- New perimeter footpath and maintenance access
- Extension of the current tennis court area to include a new basketball court, with the application of a new synthetic rebound ace surface
- Stormwater temporary detention storage within the artificial soccer field itself.
- Resource management planning
- Contaminated Land
- Civil Engineering
- Structural Engineering
-Sports turf advisors
- Preliminary design
- Detailed design
- Construction observation
- Completion certification