Te Whāriki Subdivision
This 350-Lot subdivision in Lincoln required numerous challenges to be addressed during the design and construction phases, and offers residents more than just a home.
The Tamakae Reserve Wharf Upgrade project proposes to add both new and redesign existing features to re-engage the public with the Tamakae Reserve
The land surrounding the estuary is reserved for recreational use. Tamakae Reserve is located adjacent to King Street and opposite the historic Kentish Tavern, New Zealand’s oldest continually licensed pub (constructed in 1851). There are a number of historical features within Tamakae Reserve itself, including some historic buildings collected from the area (e.g. Waiuku Lock-Up, Pollok Cottage, Hartman House, Maioro School Building) the historic central wharf and Jane Gifford Wharf.
The Tamakae Reserve Wharf Upgrade project proposes to add both new and redesign existing features in order to re-engage the public with the Tamakae Reserve and to repair the existing retaining walls which are generally in poor condition.
The work involves:
The proposed works represent a significant advancement in turning the vision for this area set out in the Waiuku Estuary Management Plan and Reserve Management Plan into reality. They will extend and complement the landscaping works recently carried out along River Lane, which have been well received. The works have numerous other benefits, relating to the amenity and use of this area and allowing for other potential future activities that will contribute to improve public access.