Northland Regional Landfill – Puwera
Fraser Thomas was engaged to provide consultancy surveying and engineering services, following the approval of resource consents for the Puwera landfill.
The Puwera Landfill is located off SH1 south of Whangarei. It comprises a modern, engineered regional landfill facility serving the greater Whangarei area, with an expected total refuse void of 4 million tonnes and estimated life time of over 35 years.
It’s development has ensured that the Northland Region is not dependent upon Auckland based landfill facilities. The landfill is run as a partnership between Whangarei District Council and Northland Waste Limited.
Services provided by Fraser Thomas include:
- Review of existing consented design completed by others
- Detailed design of the overall development and each stage and substage (civil, geotechnical, leachate, stormwater)
- Geotechnical investigation and monitoring
- Tendering, construction supervision and Quality Assurance for Stages 1 and 2
- Survey support
- Operational advice and troubleshooting.
The landfill began operation in October 2010 and filling is now proceeding in Stage 2.
- Resource management planning
- Preliminary design
- Detailed design
- Construction observation and monitoring
- Completion certification