CMA Scrap Metal Recycling
Fraser Thomas provided engineering services for an industry leading, 600 tonne per day scrap metal processing facility in Onehunga, Auckland.
This comprises sorting equipment which divides the infeed scrap into ferrous, non-ferrous and waste streams and a scrap shredding machine which enables dramatic improvements in efficiencies in handling, processing and transporting of scrap metal.
Fraser Thomas’ involvement included the following:
- Geotechnical and environmental investigations
- Integration of site and plant layout logistics to establish the scrap metal processing facility with site infrastructure services and stormwater management compliance requirements
- Preparation of multiple resource consent applications
- Designed stormwater management systems
- Designed machine foundations, 3-storey plant room, discharge stack and utility buildings, site walls and pavement
- Prepared engineering specifications and engineer’s estimate
- Construction observation and certification.
All consents were successfully negotiated for non-notified processing and were granted by Auckland Council.
- Land Use
- Groundbreaking Industry and Trade Process consent to operate a scrap metal recycling and shredding facility. An Environmental Management Plan for the proposed activity was prepared to support this consent. Stormwater treatment for the high risk status activity included oil and grease separation and sand filtration. The shallow depth and multitude of existing and proposed services at the site applied challenging constraints in the design and construction of the required stormwater treatment devices.
- Stormwater discharge consent, incorporating live surface stormwater storage to comply with pre and post development stormwater discharge neutrality
- Air discharge consent from the scrap metal shredding plant
- Contaminated Site Remediation.
- Civil Engineering
- Environmental Engineering
- Structural Engineering
- Resource Management
- Contaminated Land
- Preliminary and detailed design
- Specifications and Engineer’s estimate
- Construction observation
- Completion documentation
- Monitoring and consent compliance