Opaheke Sportsfields, Papakura
Auckland Council’s Sports Field Capacity Development Programme aims to “increase the number of Council sportsfields that are usable throughout the year, from 80% to 90% by 2020”, with some 69 new sports fields being required to cater for Auckland’s growth as well as allow refurbishment of “tired” grounds. The Opaheke Sportsfields Project is a vital part of this programme and will initially be used as “transfer fields” in the Papakura/Drury area enabling other parks to be temporarily closed and upgraded sequentially, with playing activity transferred to Opaheke during this process.
Fraser Thomas were engaged by Auckland Council to design, consent and project manage the construction of these new sportsfields. This utilised our surveying, geotechnical, civil and environmental engineering and contaminated land expertise, in combination with specialist external planners, arborists, landscape architects, sports turf advisors and traffic engineers.
- Eight new fields
- Improved (widened) access from Opaheke Road
- Metalled access road and car parking, changing facility, dual buspark/basketball court and playground
- Groundwater bore water supply
- Stormwater—wetland treatment of access road/carpark runoff
- Wastewater – on-site wastewater treatment and disposal
- Extensive landscaping
- Provision for future field lighting.
- Civil Engineering
- Environmental Engineering
- Geotechnical Engineering
- Resource Management
- Contaminated Land
- Preliminary design
- Detailed design
- Construction observation
- Completion certification